Chief Fire Officers issue Carbon Monoxide warning

The Irish Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) is urging householders to be aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide (CO) build-up in the home as part Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014.


The main aim of the week is to raise public awareness of the causes, symptoms, prevention and protection measures for the highly poisonous gas which can kill in minutes.


Seamus Murphy, Chairperson of the CFOA explained that CO is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths throughout the world.


He continued: “The potentially deadly gas can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained. Because it has no odour, colour or taste, CO cannot be detected by our senses.  Symptoms associated with exposure to CO include a mild headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and drowsiness.”


“Fortunately, simple measures can be taken to prevent CO problems,” stated Mr. Murphy, who added: “One such action is the installation of a CO alarm to detect potentially deadly conditions. Householders should also make sure that all fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained, while knowing the symptoms of CO poisoning is important.”
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014 is coordinated by Bord Gáis Networks and is supported by the CFOA, COMREG, Register of Gas Installers, Irish LPG Association, OFTEC, NSAI, HSE, HSA and all of the major Irish energy retailers.


For further Carbon Monoxide information and advice visit

Comments are closed.